What types of load cell can be found in the marketplace?
Posted: November 22, 2019
Categories: Weigh Forum
Weighing Community would offer its registred members a comprehensive range of load cells, consisting of all the following types:
- Single point/off-center/platform – load cells that are placed underneath the center of a plane surface, they are capable of correctly measuring the force applied at any point on the surface. They are usually employed in all single-cell platforms and small weighing scales.
- Bending beams – load cells that are commonly used in small weighing systems, dosing machines, bagging and filling machines, big-bag (FIBC) filling and emptying systems, small multi-cell platform scales
- Shear beams – load cells that are commonly used in larger, multi-cell platforms. They are suitable for weighing small and medium-sized hoppers, tanks or silos and transport (conveyor) systems with belts, rollers, etc.
- Double shear beams – robust load cells that are typically used with a corresponding mechanical accessory to create a complete weighing assembly for larger tanks, silos and reactors, especially those installed outside or in demanding applications
- Low profile compression – load cells that are robust and simple to install, together with a corresponding mechanical accessory to create a complete weighing assembly for weighing silos, tanks, hoppers, mixers and reactors
- Compression columns (rocker columns) – load cells that are typically used in weighbridges, or even in a weighing assembly for silos of very large capacity installed outside (or in remote areas with a risk of lightning damage)
- S-type (tension) – load cells used to create suspended weighing systems, concrete/asphalt batching plants; also for installation onto tie rods to transform old mechanical scales into electronic scales
- S-type (tension and compression) – for materials testing machines, special test rigs and fixtures, including field testing and R&D, etc.
- Pin type (load pins) – loading pins used in lifting systems with ropes or pulleys, or load monitoring systems on cranes/rigging systems. They are usually custom made according to the customer’s specifications.
- Pre-amplified type – load cells with an internal signal amplifier that provides a pre-amplified analog output (usually in the form of a 0-10V or 4-20mA signal). These load cells can be any of the above types.